Colonialism to Fair Trade
amsterdam - east
Enter studio spaces and shops, meet the owners, and learn about their craft. Visit the Cacaomuseum and taste samples of the best single-origin chocolate the world has to offer, and hear some of the personal stories behind the beans and the bars. This tour will change the way you eat chocolate, the way you do souvenir shopping, and the way you see the world.
The history of Dutch Trade is a history of tremendous success but also of painful suffering. The VOC was the first multinational in selling shares of their own company. The people in Amsterdam got rich by exploiting people on the other side of the world.
- Enter studio spaces and shops, meet the owners, and learn about their craft, and the way they approach sustainability in their day-to-day business
- We visit the Cacao Museum and taste samples of the best single-origin chocolate the world has to offer.
- We hear some of the personal stories behind the beans and the bars.
- Fair trade is one thing, fair transport is another. Amsterdam harbors the world’s first modern emission free shipping company. A company that sends out sailing ships around the world, this time not to exploit but to give inspiration for sustainable transportation worldwide.
- This tour gives back to Cacao museum that supports local farmers and promotes fair trade, and Not Just a Gift to create sustainable products.
from €250 (max 15 pax.)
Duration: 2 - 2.5 hours
Giving back to amsterdam
By asking communities how our tours can enrich and give back to the places we travel to, we create tours that help preserve the beauty and culture of Amsterdam.
Every year the owner of the cacao museum personally travels to the Amazon in Peru to work with local farmers, ensuring all his chocolate is fair-trade. We get to support his beautiful mission.
NOT JUST A GIFT
Laura Wienesen has been a resident of the area for decades. When we visit her Not Just a Gift Store she shares stories about the area and what it looked like decades ago. Laura goes through great effort to find original, sustainable gifts for her store. We get to enjoy her magnificence and support her cause.
Your tour Designer